Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Two are better than one.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 "(9)Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.  (10)For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."

At first, reading this scripture, my thought was, "this is like a good marriage...where each spouse is striving to give 100%...like my marriage."  But, it occurred to me that--often times through no fault of their own--some people don't have the opportunity for marriage in this life.  I then pondered on what this scripture could mean for them.  Then it hit me--a universal application of this scripture for every single person on Earth.

Though not everyone has the opportunity to marry in this life, each person ever to live does have the opportunity to believe in Christ, be baptized in his name, and partner with him in living a good, Christian life.  I cannot think of a more dependable friend to "lift up his fellow" than the Savior.  In fact, when we fall, his arm is always stretched out, waiting for us to grab hold of his reach, and allow him to pick us back up.  

This is also very important for married couples to remember.  If we really want a successful marriage, then both husband and wife need to partner with the Savior.  Centering our lives (and, therefore, our marriages) on the Savior is the only way to endure the challenges that life throws at us.  

I know that by being baptized in the name of the Savior through proper authority, being willing to take upon us his name and live as he lived, the Savior will be there to lift us up when we fall.  I am SO grateful to be married to a man who believes the same thing, and I love him very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment